Staging – Howie Cohn – Nov 16 th 2023
Retreat: Compassion Is Wisdom
Thursday, November 16th, 2023
To Sunday, November 19th, 2023
Led by Howie Cohn
at Auspicious Cloud Retreat Center
(formerly MAC), Chappell Hill, Texas
Description: To be consistently happy in this life you must be wise. To be wise you must be compassionate with yourself and with others. This retreat will follow the Buddha’s practical, clear, and inspiring map of awakening wisdom and compassion in our hearts and minds. Practicing Insight Meditation and Lovingkindness we will gradually open from ill will to kindness, from clinging to freedom, from confusion to clarity, and from tension to ease of being. There will be opportunities for practice discussions.
The retreat will be held mostly in silence, with formal sitting and walking meditation periods, question and answer sessions, early morning movement sessions, and meetings with the teachers. This retreat is suitable for new and experienced meditators.
The cost of the retreat is $400 by PayPal and $390 by check, which includes room and board but does not include Dana for the teacher.
Registration will end once the retreat is full or on November 9th.
Scholarship forms will be accepted until November 1st.
Click Here to register
Before registering, please read the following documents for details on this retreat.
General Retreat Information
Insight Meditation Houston hosts retreats at the Margaret Austin Center, now the Auspicious Cloud West Center, near Chappell Hill, Texas and at the Villa De Matel Convent in Houston.
Based in Buddhist philosophy, these retreats are non-sectarian and offer teachings that complement and have the potential to deepen any established spiritual or religious practice. They are held in silence, with alternating periods of sitting and walking meditation. Each day begins with simple yoga or qi gong and includes instruction in meditation, a dharma talk on Buddhist philosophy and ideals, and a period of rest. Retreats at ACWC also include a work period such as vegetable chopping or floor sweeping. The instructor will usually offer group or individual interviews during the course of the retreat.
- November 16th – Howie Cohn – Compassion is Wisdom – MAC
- January 21st – Ginger Clarkson and Travis Hicks – The Three Refuges:
Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha
- January 22nd – Ginger Clarkson and Travis Hicks – Unhindered:
A Mindful Path Through the Five Hindrance – Virtual Zoom Meeting
- January 21st Virtual Zoom Meeting – Ginger Clarkson and Travis Hicks
- January 31 Led by Ginger Clarkson – Villa de Matel
- April 25th Led by Howie Cohn – Zoom
- September 25th by Lila Kate Wheeler and Katy Wiss
- January 24 Led by Ginger Clarkson – Villa de Matel
- April 25 Led by Howie Cohn – Margaret Austin Center
- September 26-29 Led by Lila Kate Wheeler – Margaret Austin Center
- January 27 Led by Ginger Clarkson – West U Senior Center
- April 26th – 29th Led by Howie Cohn – Margaret Austin Center
- Sept 27 – 30th Led by Lila Kate Wheeler – Margaret Austin Center
- January 27 – 29th, Led by Howie Cohn – Cenacle
- April 27 – 30 th Led by Howie Cohn – Margaret Austin Center
- May 20, Led by Ginger Clarkson – Ruah Center at Villa de Matel
- Sept 28 – Oct 1st Led by Lila Wheeler – Margaret Austin Center
- January 30th – “Opening the heart” led by Ginger Clarkson
- April 21 – 24th, 2016 Led by Howie Cohn – Margaret Austin Center
- Sept 29 – Oct 2nd 2016 Led by Lila Wheeler – Margaret Austin Center
- April 23 – 26th with Howard Cohn (sponsored by Insight Meditation Houston)
- September 18 – 20th with Howard Cohn – in Houston
- October 1 to October 4 – Residential Retreat with Lila Kate Wheeler – Margaret Austin Center