Click on the link below if you would like to make a donation to enable Insight Meditation Houston to provide retreats, scholarship and other community oriented activity.
The Three Refuges:
Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha
Insight Meditation In-Person Retreat
Led by Ginger Clarkson and Travis Hicks
Saturday, January 21st 2023, 9 am to 4 pm
Villa de Matel, 6510 Lawndale, Houston 77023
Sponsored by Insight Meditation Houston
The Three Refuges: Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha
Description: Aside from guiding periods of silent sitting and walking meditation, retreat leaders Ginger Clarkson and Travis Hicks will speak about how taking refuge in the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha help to sustain our practice. The Buddha refers to not only the historical figure of a human being who attained enlightenment but also to the capacity of each person to wake up. Dharma refers to the teachings of the Buddha and other sages as well as to our direct experience of the truth of those teachings in our daily lives. Sangha refers to the spiritual community that supports each individual’s growth in awareness. IMH sangha welcomes you to attend this in-person-only retreat.
The retreat is suitable for new and experienced meditators. This retreat will start at 9:00 am and conclude at 4:00 pm. The schedule includes periods of silent sitting and walking, dharma talks about each part of the theme, and smaller group discussions led by each teacher. See schedule below.
Ginger Clarkson is a Community Dharma Leader, certified by Spirit Rock Meditation Center in Woodacre, California. She is the author of A Silent Cure: Transforming Preverbal Trauma Through Meditation and Poems From the Heart of Silence, a compilation of poetry inspired by month-long silent meditation retreats. Ginger is a Music Therapist and has recently completed Buddhist Chaplaincy Training. She has led Insight Meditation Houston since 2012.
Travis Hicks is a Mindfulness Meditation Teacher, certified by the Greater Good Science Center at the University of California, Berkley. Travis is an architect and former Board Chair of IMH. He has given talks at Insight Meditation Houston since 2017.
Registration: Cost: The cost of the retreat is $75. An additional amount for teacher dana can be added to the registration fee at the time of payment or made separately at the end of the retreat. Registration will end on January 19th.
Before registering, please read the following documents for details on this retreat.
REGISTRATION IS CLOSED
Documents in Word Format
Documents in PDF Format
You may pay by PayPal for the retreat and dana at the time of registration or by Clicking Here. To pay by check please see retreat documents linked above.
If you have any questions, contact us at MeditationHouston@gmail.com
General Retreat Information
Insight Meditation Houston hosts retreats at the Margaret Austin Center near Chappell Hill, Texas and at the Villa De Matel Convent in Houston.
Based in Buddhist philosophy, these retreats are non-sectarian and offer teachings that complement and have the potential to deepen any established spiritual or religious practice. They are held in silence, with alternating periods of sitting and walking meditation. Each day begins with simple yoga or qi gong and includes instruction in meditation, a dharma talk on Buddhist philosophy and ideals, and a period of rest. Retreats at MAC also include a work period such as vegetable chopping or floor sweeping. The instructor will usually offer group or individual interviews during the course of the retreat.
- January 21st – Ginger Clarkson and Travis Hicks – The Three Refuges:
Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha
- January 22nd – Ginger Clarkson and Travis Hicks – Unhindered:
A Mindful Path Through the Five Hindrance – Virtual Zoom Meeting
- January 21st Virtual Zoom Meeting – Ginger Clarkson and Travis Hicks
- January 31 Led by Ginger Clarkson – Villa de Matel
- April 25th Led by Howie Cohn – Zoom
- September 25th by Lila Kate Wheeler and Katy Wiss
- January 24 Led by Ginger Clarkson – Villa de Matel
- April 25 Led by Howie Cohn – Margaret Austin Center
- September 26-29 Led by Lila Kate Wheeler – Margaret Austin Center
- January 27 Led by Ginger Clarkson – West U Senior Center
- April 26th – 29th Led by Howie Cohn – Margaret Austin Center
- Sept 27 – 30th Led by Lila Kate Wheeler – Margaret Austin Center
- January 27 – 29th, Led by Howie Cohn – Cenacle
- April 27 – 30 th Led by Howie Cohn – Margaret Austin Center
- May 20, Led by Ginger Clarkson – Ruah Center at Villa de Matel
- Sept 28 – Oct 1st Led by Lila Wheeler – Margaret Austin Center
- January 30th – “Opening the heart” led by Ginger Clarkson
- April 21 – 24th, 2016 Led by Howie Cohn – Margaret Austin Center
- Sept 29 – Oct 2nd 2016 Led by Lila Wheeler – Margaret Austin Center
- April 23 – 26th with Howard Cohn (sponsored by Insight Meditation Houston)
- September 18 – 20th with Howard Cohn – in Houston
- October 1 to October 4 – Residential Retreat with Lila Kate Wheeler – Margaret Austin Center