Click on the link below if you would like to make a donation to enable Insight Meditation Houston to provide retreats, scholarship and other community oriented activity.
A Mindful Path Through the Five Hindrance
Insight Meditation Virtual Retreat
Led by Ginger Clarkson and Travis Hicks
Saturday, January 22nd 2021, 10 am to 4 pm
Sponsored by Insight Meditation Houston
Unhindered: A Mindful Path Through the Five Hindrances
Description: The theme of this daylong retreat is the title of a book by meditation teacher Gil Fronsdal. Among the many forces of distraction, the Buddha identified some classic hindrances that are especially common in meditation practice. They can impede our ability to see clearly and our capacity to develop concentration. The hindrances are sensual desire; ill will or aversion; sleepiness and lethargy; restlessness and worry; and doubt. In this retreat, we will become more familiar with these physical and mental factors and learn skillful ways to deal with them. A series of brief dharma talks, guided reflections and periods of silent meditation will help us to practice freeing the mind.
The retreat is suitable for new and experienced meditators. This retreat will start at 10:00 am and run through 4:00 pm. The schedule includes a series of brief dharma talks, guided reflections, and periods of silent meditation, helping us to practice freeing the mind.
The Zoom links will be mailed out before the class.
Ginger Clarkson is a Community Dharma Leader, certified by Spirit Rock Meditation Center in Woodacre, California. She is the author of A Silent Cure: Transforming Preverbal Trauma Through Meditation and Poems From the Heart of Silence, a compilation of poetry inspired by month-long silent meditation retreats. Ginger is a Music Therapist and has recently completed Buddhist Chaplaincy Training. She has led Insight Meditation Houston since 2012.
Travis Hicks is a Mindfulness Meditation Teacher, certified by the Greater Good Science Center at the University of California, Berkley. Travis is an architect and former Board Chair of IMH. He has given talks at Insight Meditation Houston since 2017.
Registration: The cost of the retreat is $30 each. Scholarships are generously provided by the sangha, for those in need. An additional amount for teacher dana can be added to the registration fee at the time of payment or made separately at the end of the retreat. Registration will end on January 21st. Scholarship forms will be accepted until Jan 12th.
Before registering, please read the following documents for details on this retreat.
You may pay by PayPal for the retreat and dana through this link Click Here. To pay by check please see retreat documents linked above.
If you have any questions contact us at MeditationHouston@gmail.com
General Retreat Information
Insight Meditation Houston hosts retreats at the Margaret Austin Center near Chappell Hill, Texas and at the Villa De Matel Convent in Houston.
Based in Buddhist philosophy, these retreats are non-sectarian and offer teachings that complement and have the potential to deepen any established spiritual or religious practice. They are held in silence, with alternating periods of sitting and walking meditation. Each day begins with simple yoga or qi gong and includes instruction in meditation, a dharma talk on Buddhist philosophy and ideals, and a period of rest. Retreats at MAC also include a work period such as vegetable chopping or floor sweeping. The instructor will usually offer group or individual interviews during the course of the retreat.
- January 22nd – Ginger Clarkson and Travis Hicks – Unhindered:
A Mindful Path Through the Five Hindrance – Virtual Zoom Meeting
- January 21st Virtual Zoom Meeting – Ginger Clarkson and Travis Hicks
- January 31 Led by Ginger Clarkson – Villa de Matel
- April 25th Led by Howie Cohn – Zoom
- September 25th by Lila Kate Wheeler and Katy Wiss
- January 24 Led by Ginger Clarkson – Villa de Matel
- April 25 Led by Howie Cohn – Margaret Austin Center
- September 26-29 Led by Lila Kate Wheeler – Margaret Austin Center
- January 27 Led by Ginger Clarkson – West U Senior Center
- April 26th – 29th Led by Howie Cohn – Margaret Austin Center
- Sept 27 – 30th Led by Lila Kate Wheeler – Margaret Austin Center
- January 27 – 29th, Led by Howie Cohn – Cenacle
- April 27 – 30 th Led by Howie Cohn – Margaret Austin Center
- May 20, Led by Ginger Clarkson – Ruah Center at Villa de Matel
- Sept 28 – Oct 1st Led by Lila Wheeler – Margaret Austin Center
- January 30th – “Opening the heart” led by Ginger Clarkson
- April 21 – 24th, 2016 Led by Howie Cohn – Margaret Austin Center
- Sept 29 – Oct 2nd 2016 Led by Lila Wheeler – Margaret Austin Center
- April 23 – 26th with Howard Cohn (sponsored by Insight Meditation Houston)
- September 18 – 20th with Howard Cohn – in Houston
- October 1 to October 4 – Residential Retreat with Lila Kate Wheeler – Margaret Austin Center